Thursday 19 November 2009

Rude Awakening

Last Saturday started off as a normal weekend. Dylan woke up at 7.00 ish (too early) and I went in to lie with him while I woke up. Then he said to me; 'get up mummy'. So, we went to the sitting room, had our brekkie, and sat and watched a bit of morning kids tele - it takes a while to get going on a Saturday. At about 8.45, I decided it was time for Rubén to get to start the day and sent Dylan in to say 'Good morning' (well... to wake him up, really). Closely followed by me and we all got back into bed for a morning cuddle. Dylan then proceded to jump on the bed, his current favourite passtime, which now includes the added extra of diving on top of us. The first one was funny, we laughed together as he fell on top of us and he quickly got up to repeat the activity. This time he launched himself with all his weight(14-15kilos) up in the air and on top of our heads. Immediate wails came from both the boys and I didn't know where to turn. Rubén's cry was much louder so I attended to him but he was too angry (or in pain) to let me look. So, I went to Dylan. He was so shocked, the poor thing, and knew that he'd hurt his Daddy and was inconsolable. The wailing from both continued. I went back to Ruben, looked at his face and realised that his nose didn't look quite right, was it broken? I told him we had to go to the hospital to get it checked out. I returned to wailing child no.1 and tried to get him dressed - impossible - he was in need of attention and found it only possible to tantrum. In the end, Rubén just put his clothes on and went to the hospital alone...thank god.

I sat on the sofa consolling Dylan for a while and then got on with the morning. A couple of hours later Rubén returned with his diagnosis - a fractured nose, poor thing. He's feeling (and looking) much better now that the nurse has told him he'll live. I can already see it as one of those family anecdotes that gets told every time Dylan has a new girlfriend!

No comments:

Post a Comment